Just as we are entering the “hot as Hell” phase of summer, a cool breeze called the Texas Tiki Week blows in. Starting this Sunday, June 24, 2012, at 4pm gallons of rum will be spilled down gullets in bars around Austin. Grab your coconut bras, grass skirts and get ready to get laid, oh I mean leid.
Organized by the Austin Chapter of the United States Bartenders Guild (USBG), Texas Tiki Week gets shaking at three North Loop bars with luau-inspired cocktails, like the Toucan Sam and the Sunset Fizz. A few concoctions from Dame Jessica Sanders, the Drink.Well mixtress, caught my fancy:
Rick(e)y Martin-ique: La Vida Loca WILL be lived during Texas Tiki Week!
- Rhum Agricole, Kaffir Lime Cordial, Fresh Lime, Club Soda
Pass the Tabu: Named for the iconic Brady Brunch episode where a discovered tiki idol wreaks havoc on the Brady family’s Hawaiian vacation.
- Don Q Cristal Rum, Campari, Grapefruit Juice, Macadamia Nut Orgeat, Angostura Bitters, Acid Phosphate
The Snail: The Tipsy Texan’s legendary pre-batched punch with over a dozen ingredients. This bad boy will be sold in small punch cups, while supplies last and ONLY on Sunday. Beware, this one will leave you feeling hazy and moving slow as a snail the next day.
- Don Q Anejo Rum, Calvados, Cruzan Black Strap Rum, Pear Liqueur, Cachaca, Domaine de Canton, Balcones Rumble Aperol, Hum Botanical Liqueur, Lime, Lemon, Jerry Thomas Decanter Bitters
Dame Jessica said, “I am particularly fascinated by the fact that despite the island overtones, ‘tiki’ was (and still is) at its core an American pop-culture phenomenon, cuisine and aesthetic. The cocktail menus that folks will see at Drink.Well. and across Austin’s other USBG venues will represent the exotic, fun and perhaps even quirky aspects of the tiki cocktail renaissance. We’ve certainly got a fantastic selection of rums and rhum agricoles in each of our tool boxes to play. And, secretly, I hope I see at least one person rock coconut bra next week!”
Drink.Well will have traditional Tiki glassware, leis and Texas Tiki Week t-shirts available for sale for $10. The bar will also show various “…Goes to Hawaii” American TV shows all night, including “Save by the Bell: Hawaiian Style.”
Your itinerary (courtesy of USBG)
- Sunday, June 24th – North Loop becomes “Rum Row” with Tiki cocktails and food specials at Drink.Well., The Tigress and Workhorse Bar.
- Monday, June 25th – USBG ‘Members Only’ Happy Hour & Boat Cruise, departs from Hula Hut.
- Tuesday, June 26th – A special daytime educational event with Ed Hamilton (Location TBA), followed by debauchery at The Volstead Lounge converted into Justin Elliot’s Rhum Bar, from 7pm until the hulu skirts start falling off.
- Wednesday, June 27th – Jason Stevens will kick his infamous Tiki menu at Bar Congress into high gear for Tiki Week.
- Thursday, June 28th – Contigo Austin will host a Texas Luau featuring cocktails from Drink Local 2011 winner Houston Eaves and his team plus the always terrific food from Contigo’s chef, Andrew Wiseheart.
- Saturday, June 30th – USBG Austin will close it out right with a Tiki Block Party at Noble Pig with polynesian sandwich specials, complimentary cocktails and one helluva good time.